Are you looking for a standard yet affordable mirrorless camera? If yes, I bet Canon Eos M50 Specs & Features have already mesmerized you. That’s why you may think – should I give Canon EOS M50 a shot?
Trust me! You won’t regret giving it a try. In the Canon M lineup, EOS M50 is indeed a great addition. It has grabbed the attention of its 24.1 MP CMOS sensor, DIGIC-8 processor, OLED viewfinder, and 4K Video capture capabilities. Though Canon has regarded it as an entry-level camera, it’s more efficient than other beginner cameras of the M series.
Do you want to go through an authentic canon eos m50 review before giving it a try? Don’t worry; our content has covered it all up along with a detailed faq section. So, jump in without delay and get your favorite Mirrorless Camera now!
Canon Eos M50 Specs & Features: Is It Any Good?
Canon M50 debuted on the camera market in 2018. If I remember correctly, The exact Canon M50 release date is – 26 February. The M-series of Canon has a trend of improving its features in every model. Firstly, it has the same 24.1 MP CMOS APS-C image sensor as its high-end siblings. Canon M50 is also the first camera of the M series with a DIGIC-8 processor & 4K video recorder. The brand has also improved autofocus to a great extent. Let’s learn more about Canon m50 specifications, Features & prices in the upcoming sections.
Canon M50 Camera Specifications:
|Optimum Environment||O to 40°C temperature. < 85% humidity.|
|Dimensions:||116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7 mm|
|Canon M50 Weight||Black – 387 g. White – 390 g.|
|Image Sensor||Type||CMOS (22.3 x 14.9mm).|
|Effective Pixels||24.1 MP.|
|Total Pixels||25.8 MP.|
|Low Pass Filter||Fixed.|
|Sensor Cleaning||Integrated System.|
|Image Processor||Type||DIGIC 8|
|Lens||Lens Mount||EF- M EF & EF- S (Via EF-EOS M adapter).|
|Focal Length||1.6× Lens focal length.|
|Image Stabilization||Available in the Lens is compatible. Available for Dynamic IS compatible lens.|
|Focus||Type||CMOS Autofocus (Dual Pixel).|
|AF Point||143/99 (Maximum). In Zone Autofocus – 25 Frames (Maximum).|
|AF Range (With EF-M, 22mm f/2 STM)||EV -2 – 18 (ISO 100, 23°C).|
|AF Mode||One Shot Autofocus. Servo Autofocus.|
|AF Point Selection||Face & subject recognition by – Automatic tracking & Manual Recognition. One Shot Autofocus system automatically focuses on the eye. 1 Point Autofocus avails manual selection. Manual selection & auto selection on Autofocus point are available in smooth zone autofocus.|
|AF Point display||EVF or LCD monitor.|
|Predictive Autofocus||It is only compatible with EF, f/2.8L, 300mm IS USM.|
|AF Lock||Click on the shutter button halfway/ customizable AE lock button for activation.|
|AF Assist Beam||By LED Beam|
|Manual Focus||Compatible With – |
EF-M Lens. EF & EF-S Lens. You can magnify till 10× after manual focus. MF peaking & AF+MF is also available.
|Exposure Control||Modes||Evaluative metering includes 384 zones. Partial metering covers 6.4% of the Live View Screen. Center-weighted metering. Spot metering covers 2.8% of the Live View Screen.|
|Metering Range||Still image EV 0 to 20. Movie: EV 0 to 20.|
|AE Lock||Auto & manual.|
|Exposure Compensation||+/-3 EV.|
|AEB||Three shots, +/- 2 EV.|
|ISO Sensitivity||ISO Auto. 4k. Full HD. HD.|
|Shutter||Type||Electric Shutter (focally placed).|
|Speed||30 to 1/4000 seconds (⅓ increments)|
|White Balance||Type||Automatic with the imaging sensor.|
|Settings||Auto (Ambience & white Priority). Daylight. Shade. Cloudy. White Fluorescent light. Tungsten light. Flash. Custom. Colour Temperature: 100 Kelvin increments. White balance compensation: 1. Blue/Amber (+/-9). 2. Magenta/ Green (+/-9).|
|Custom White Balance||Possible.|
|Viewfinder||Type||OLED Electronic Viewfinder (0.39).|
|LCD Monitor||Type||7.5 cm LCD Touchscreen with 3:2 aspect ratio.|
|Display Options||Use INFO. Button to customize: Liveview image with basic/exposure/full info. Customizable settings: Grid overlay. Histogram. Electronic Level. Multi-aspect ratio.|
|Flash||Type||Built-in GN, 100 ISO, 5 meters.|
|Recycle time||3 seconds.|
|Exposure Compensation||+/- 2 EV with increments of ⅓.|
|Second Curtain Sync||Available.|
|Shooting||Modes||Scene Intelligent Auto, Creative Assist, Hybrid Auto, SCN, Creative Filters, Shutter priority AE, Aperture priority AE, Manual exposure, Program AE. Movie: Auto & manual exposure, Time-lapse.|
|Picture Style||Auto. Standard. Portrait. Landscape. Detailed. Neutral. Monochrome. User Defined.|
|Color||sRGB. Adobe RGB.|
|Image Processing||Standard Highlight Tone Priority 4 Auto Lighting Optimizer Long exposure with noise reduction. High ISO speed & noise reduction. Lens peripheral Diffraction correction. Illumination correction. Chromatic aberration correction.|
|Drive Mode||Single. Continuous. High-Speed Continuous Low-Speed. Self timer (2s/ 10s/ Custom).|
|Continuous Shooting||One Shot AF: (10 shots per second.)|
JPEG: 33 frames. Raw: 10 frames. Servo AF: (7.4 shots per second.)
JPEG: 47 frames.
|Live View Mode||Coverage||100% both vertically & horizontally.|
|File||Still Image Type||JPEG (Fine & Normal). Raw (CR3 14-bit). Digital Print Format.|
|Raw + JPEG Recording||Possible.|
|Image Size||Raw – 6000 x 4000 (3:2) 5328 x 4000 (4:3) 6000 x 3368 (16:9) 4000 x 4000 (1:1) JPEG – 3:2, 4:3, 16:8, 1:1.|
|Movie Size||4K – 3840 x 2160 Full HD – 1920 x 1080 HD – 1280 x 720|
|Movie length||Duration: 29min 59sec (Maximum) File size: 4GB (Maximum).|
|File Numbering||Manual Reset, auto reset & continuous.|
|Storage||Type||SD, SDHC, SDXC|
|Power Source||Battery||Li-ion LP-E12 × 1|
|Battery Life||Two hundred thirty-five shots at 50% AE & FE. Three hundred seventy shots at Echo mode. Eighty-five minutes of recording time. Four hours of still image playback time.|
|Battery Indicator Level||4|
|Power Saving Mode||Display Off for – 15/30 seconds or 1/3/5/10/30 minutes. Auto power down – 15/30 seconds or 1/3/5/10/30 minutes. Disable the viewfinder for 1 to 3 minutes. Echo mode.|
|Battery Charger||LC-E12E charger.|
Grossly, Canon EOS M50 has some similarities with its siblings, M5. Compared to the M5, the M50’s display is a bit small.
- It’s a vary-angle 3″ touch-sensitive display with 1.04 million dots.
- The M50 has a very simple top deck design with the main dial, multi-function switch, and a non-lock mode dial.
- You will also find its movie record button on the top deck.
- The brand has included a new pop-up flash as well.
Canon M50 Sensor Size:
- Just like its predecessor, M5, The Canon M50 features a 24.1 MP APS-C CMOS image sensor.
- Its overall sensitivity is around 100 to 25,600, with a feasible expansion range up to 51,200.
- Moreover, it’s compatible with CR3 raw format as well as C-RAW lossy compression.
Performance & Processor:
The Canon M50 showed some speedy improvement with its DIGIC 8 processor.
- At one Shot AF Mode, the camera can shoot at ten frames per second. Canon claims to produce around ten raw/ 33 JPEGs at this pace.
- It can also bear buffer depth up to 16 in 10 fps C-RAW lossy compression.
- You can also move to continuous AF to get a speed of 7.4 frames per second.
- The brand Canon has improved its CMOS autofocus with the addition of 143 focus points in total. Only EF-M Macro IS STM 28mm f/3.5, EF-M f/3.5-6.3 18-150mm IS STM & EF-M IS STM 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 can utilize 143 points. Other EF-M lenses are capable of using only 99 points. You can also go for EF and EF-S lenses if you have the EOS M50 adapter. They can also use all 143 autofocus points.
- Canon M50 also features touch-and-drag autofocus, eye detection along with manual focus. Its overall functionality range is around -2 to 18 EV. The camera also features an AF LED lamp for further assistance.
If you are an amateur photographer, Canon M50 is indeed a great option for its numerous shooting modes.
Even though it’s a mirrorless model with interchangeable lenses, it offers advanced physical control.
- Its shutter priority ranges from 30 to 1/4,000 seconds in manual, Aperture & shutter priority mode.
- The built-in manual flash syncs around 1/200 s with 500 guide numbers & 100 ISO.
- Other than the manual shooting, aperture & shutter priority, this camera features a silent scene mode.
- Its 384 zone metering system is compatible with spot, partial & center metering modes.
Canon M50 Video Specs:
- Canon M50 is the first camera of the M series which can record ultra HD 4k videos at 23.98 frames/ second & 120 Mbps bit rate.
- You can also shoot Full HD & HD videos at a speed of 60 & 120 fps, respectively.
Just like M5, The M50 canon camera stores the Images & videos in the SD, SDHC, or SDXC cards. The card slot is basically compatible with UHS-I.
Do you want to transfer your precious photos to your laptop or PC? Now, the wireless transfer has eased up due to WiFi, NFC & Bluetooth connectivity.
The M50 camera is powered by a 7.2V 875mAh LP-E12 Li-ion battery. It can take up to 235 shots & 370 shots in regular and Echo mode, respectively.
Canon M50 Price:
At first, at the debut of the Canon EOS M50 in 2018, it was available in both black & white compact body. By April 2019, its minimum suggested price was around $680. You can also go for a combination of Canon m50 camera & EF-M 15-45mm lens for just $800. The combination of 15-45mm lens & 55-200mm zoom is only available for the black M50 model. You have to spend around $1,150 on it. If you go for the Video creation kit, that will cost around $900. The video creator kit includes – a Rode on-mic, 32GB SD card along with a 15-45mm lens.
What Is In The Box?
- Canon M50 Mirrorless camera body.
- EF-M IS STM 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 lens.
- Hot shoe cover, body & lens caps.
- LP-E12 battery & LC-E12 charger.
- USB interface cable – IFC-600PCU.
- Neck strap – EM-200DB.
- One-year limited warranty.
What Accessories Are Compatible With Canon EOS M50?
- Case: Body jacket EH32-CJ (Brown & beige).
- Neck strap: EM-E2 (Black & white), EM-200DB.
- Wireless transmitter.
- Lens: EF-M Lens, EF & EF-S series Lens (EF-EOS M adapter is required).
- Flash: Canon Speedlite (90/220/270/320/380/420/430/550/580/600 Ex, 270/ 430/580 EX II, Macro Ring Lite – 14 Ex II, Macro twin lite- 24 Ex, Speedlite Transmitter – E2, E3-RT).
- Battery Grip.
- Bluetooth Remote Controller: BR-E1.
What is the Canon EOS M50 Good for?
It’s a good-to-go camera for amateur as well as regularly experienced photographers. Its image quality is indeed better than its predecessors. Yes, there are far better options in the market. From the price point, this APS-C CMOS sensor with AF & 10 frame/seconds rate can definitely do the job.
Is the Canon M50 Good For 4k?
Just like the prior siblings, Canon M50 can record the default Full HD 1080p videos. It is the first model of the M series with a 4k video recorder. However, its 4k recording performance is not the best but passable.
Is Canon M50 A Professional Camera?
It’s more like a beginner mirrorless camera with an Interchangeable lens. If you are a professional and have a low budget, give Canon M50 a try. It is equipped with all the necessary features to provide pro-quality performance.
You are quite interested in the Canon M50, aren’t you? I believe our content on Canon M50 Specs & Features has already cleared that it is definitely worth a try. It’s the first mirrorless camera in the M series with a 4k video recorder & Interchangeable lens. Yes, its Canon m50 video Specs (4k) have some limitations. However, its still image capture capacity and price is also attractive. So, if you have eyes on it, give it a try right away!
Hey guys! You can call me Terry E. Collin.
I spend most of my leisure time on Top Brand Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Camera, Camcorder And, Lens
Let’s share some of them one by one in this blog For FilmingLab Audience