Whether you are a professional photographer or a passionate amateur, the Nikon Z5 is the right camera for capturing incredible photos and shots. It offers exceptional performance and features that make it easy to take high-quality photos in any situation. However, to ensure you always get the highest possible results from your Nikon Z5, it’s necessary to select the right flash.
Unfortunately, with so many options on the market, it is challenging to figure out which flash is actually most suited for the Z5. However, don’t panic. In this article, we’ll discuss some of the best flash for Nikon Z5 options available today. We try to familiarize you with the different flash types, features, and costs so that you can make an informed decision about which flash is right for your Nikon Z5.
In a hurry? Check out our editor’s pick.
Editors pick Nikon SB-5000 AF Speedlight.
Good for value: Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash for Nikon Z5
Suitable for beginners: Nikon 4814 SB-500 AF Speedlight
5 Best Flash for Nikon Z5 Camera
1. Nikon SB-5000 AF Speedlight
- 1.8 s NiCad recycling time
- Compatible with Nikon i-TTL
- 180° rotatable both left and right
- Easy to operate and powerful
Introducing our first selection of Nikon SB-5000 AF, an incredibly powerful flash for passionate photographers. Its advanced wireless radio control system can tilt, swivel, and zoom to different angles and distances. You can capture illumination from any angle in any situation. The fast recycling time allows you to capture multiple images with your Nikon Z5 and other Z series cameras without missing a beat. In contrast, the auto power zoom function allows you to adjust the light size at any time.
Professional Quality Lighting: The Speedlight is ideal for professional photographers looking for powerful, reliable lighting. It also offers a quick recycling time of 1.8 to 2.6 seconds and an impressive guide number of 113′ at ISO 100 and 35 mm. Thanks to an innovative built-in cooling system designed to extend the Speedlight’s life, we believe it is a worthwhile investment for all photographers since it is an excellent way to extend the life of their flash.
Exceptional Flash Control: You can precisely control your flash with the Nikon SB-5000 AF Speedlight. Several features are found in this Speedlight, including i-TTL automatic flash control and wireless radio commander mode working together with Nikon’s Creative Lighting System (CLS), allowing you to create precise lighting for your images.
Even though the Nikon SB-5000 AF Speedlight is highly capable and has a broad range of performance capabilities, it is incredibly compact and lightweight, making it easy to transport and store. In addition, it is dustproof and moisture-resistant, so it can be used even in harsh conditions without being compromised.
Versatile Wireless Connectivity: With the flexible wireless capabilities of this product, you can use both remote optical flashes as well as radio frequency flashes at the same time. This gives you maximum flexibility when creating creative lighting effects and makes it the best flash for Nikon Z5.
- Compatible with both i-TTL and manual exposure control modes
- Incredibly powerful with an impressive guide number of 113ft at ISO 100 and 35mm
- Features an advanced cooling system to reduce overheating.
- Radio-controlled advanced wireless lighting (AWL)
- Convenient design, easy to carry
- Expensive compared to other Speedlights in its class.
2. Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight Flash
- 2.5 to 3.5 seconds recycle time
- 92′ at ISO 100 and 35mm guide number
- High build quality
- I-TTL features
- Wide connectivity
Nikon SB-700 AF is a professional-quality flash that offers a variety of features and options that will help you capture stunning pictures even in the most challenging lighting conditions. With its tilting head and easy-to-use controls, this flash provides flexible illumination while also offering fast and accurate autofocus performance, making it an excellent choice for Z5 cameras.
Versatility: This Speedlight flash is one of the most versatile lighting devices that photographers can use to control their lighting creatively. With its tilt and swivel head that can be adjusted to create different directional lighting effects, the flash head gives you the freedom to create the most suitable lighting effects. This will allow you to capture their true expressions.
Quality Lighting: It comes with i-TTL technology and provides consistent, reliable performance for proper illumination of your subject. Additionally, the multi-step auto zoom offers a wide range of zooming options, ranging from 24-120 mm.
Compatibility: The Nikon SB-700 AF Speedlight flash is not only compatible with Z5 but also with the D7200, D750, Nikon Z6, Z6 II and most Nikon DSLRs. The included mount also allows you to attach the flash securely to any standard hot shoe accessory mount on your camera body for quick access and use during photoshoots.
- Featuring a versatile rotating head that enables bounce flashes when necessary.
- It comes with both a hot shoe and wireless operation
- Compatible with Nikon i-TTL and CLS systems.
- Supports both FX and DX cameras and sensors
- It has an LCD that is clear, backlit, and easy to use
- The flash has multiple modes that can be used to create creative lighting effects, such as rear curtain sync and more.
- You can use it as a wireless commander and remote unit in multiple groups and channels.
- There is no doubt that this adds some size and weight to your setup. A smaller/lighter version is also available if you prefer.
3. Godox V860II-N 2.4G TTL Camera Flash
- 20 to 200 mm zoom range
- 1.5 seconds recycle time
- Guide number 197 ft at ISO 100 and 200mm
This flash is the ultimate lighting solution for capturing mesmerizing images and video in any condition. There is no doubt that this TTL camera flash, with its powerful flash, can provide up to 650 full-power flashes on a single set of batteries, which is excellent. A simple LCD panel with an intuitive interface lets you see all the information you want at a glance. This makes it easy for you to adjust settings quickly.
High Power Output: The Godox V860II-N 2.4G TTL camera flash provides a powerful output with a guide number of 60 (ISO 100 @200 mm) and is suitable for most photography needs. It has a wide range of power from 20 to 200 zoom flash coverage with adjustable settings, providing the flexibility needed when working in different lighting conditions.
Wireless Control: This camera flash utilizes the latest 2.4G wireless X system that allows you to control up to several groups of flashes from up to 100 meters away from your camera. Furthermore, you can even use it to complement Godox’s X1T transmitter for even greater control over multiple flashes simultaneously.
Compatibility: Whether you own a Canon EOS or a Nikon DSLR camera, you can rest assured knowing that this camera flash is compatible with each separate camera setup. Moreover, it works seamlessly with other Godox accessories, such as LEDs and triggers, allowing you to have full creative control over the images you take.
- Designed for quick shooting sessions that don’t require more than two seconds of recycling time.
- A single charge of the battery will last up to 650 full flash cycles.
- Its wireless 2.4G TTL system lets you control multiple flash units at once from almost anywhere.
- It has a high guide number of GN60 and a 20-200 zoom flash range.
- An intuitive control panel with a wide range of functions allows you to easily adjust all settings to suit your requirements.
- When used repeatedly at full power, it can overheat quickly, limiting the number of shots taken before it needs to be cooled down again.
4. Godox V1-N Flash for Nikon
- 28 to 105 mm flash coverage
- Quick lock hot-shoe
- User-friendly interface
- Master, Slave, Off wireless function
- Accessories support USB firmware upgrade
The Godox V1-N Flash is a revolutionary flash that will not only enhance your Z5 photography skills but also take them to the next level. It offers a range of powerful lighting features that can be used for capturing stunning images as well as capturing stunning video footage. A user-friendly user interface makes it easy to control flash output as well as modify settings quickly.
Versatile Lighting Options: When it comes to lighting, the V1-N offers an array of options and versatility, allowing you to achieve great creativity. Whether used as a camera-mounted flash or an off-camera strobe or modifier, this flash can be used in any situation.
Moreover, if you look at its specifications, you’ll find that it is quite compact and lightweight, allowing you to carry it wherever you need to without worrying about carrying extra gear.
Powerful Performance: No matter what kind of shooting scenario you are in, the Godox V1-N flash will be able to handle it. The TTL function enables you to quickly and efficiently achieve accurate exposures with a fast sync speed of up to 1/8000, making it easier than ever to achieve effective exposures.
Simple Controls: One of the advantages of this flash is that it comes with very simple and intuitive controls, making it easy for anyone to use. You can easily adjust parameters like power level, zoom, and color temperature with the built-in control knob and LCD.
- Designed to work with the Godox 2.4G Wireless X system transmitter.
- Features Godox 2.4GHz X wireless radio for reliable remote triggering and power control.
- With the Godox V1, you can fire 480 flashes at full power in just 1.5 seconds
- 120+ degrees of tilt and 330 degrees of rotation
- As a result of its round flash head, it offers studio-level light effects with soft and even lighting.
- Depending on the Nikon camera model, additional adapters may be required to fit.
5. Nikon 4814 SB-500 AF Speedlight
- Excellent fill flash
- Guide number of 24/78.7 at ISO 100
- Lightweight and small
- Stunning tilt range
Last but not least, the Nikon 4814 SB-500 AF is a powerful and versatile flash for photographers of all levels. It is designed to maximize light output, with wide-angle coverage that ensures perfectly illuminated photos no matter the setting. Whether you are a beginner or a professional, this Speedlight is easy to use with its simple controls.
Creative Lighting Effects: This Nikon SB-500 AF Speedlight features rear curtain sync mode and slow flash synchronization for capturing unique images. You can also add creative lighting effects such as diffusion, bounce lighting, or color gels with this reliable Speedlight. With its 100-lux LED light (approx.), it produces steady, uniform, daylight-balanced illumination.
Best for Beginners: Most consumers say this Speedlight is a reliable option for newbies, especially because it quickly gets you up and running. A variety of functions, such as power levels, flash zoom settings, and more, can be easily controlled by its intuitive operation.
Bright Illumination: It provides bright, professional-quality illumination at ISO 100 with a 24m/78ft guide number. Users can also tilt and swivel the head to direct the light at whatever angle is best for the shot. Overall, this flash is designed to be easy to use and perform well for beginning photographers.
- A small and lightweight design makes it easy to carry around.
- Designed to work with Nikon’s Creative Lighting System (CLS).
- The head rotates 180 degrees left and right and 90 degrees up.
- Featuring a high-intensity LED light on the camera’s side, which makes it ideal for recording movies.
- This radio-controlled light trigger works with Nikon-compatible cameras for remote triggering multiple lights on up to 4 channels simultaneously.
- Since it does not have a zoom feature, it can only be used in relatively small areas, as it does not offer a zoom function. You need to change the size of the reflector or diffusion material on the flash separately to adjust the coverage.
How to Choose the Best Flash for Nikon Z5
When it comes to choosing the appropriate flash for your Nikon Z5, there are several factors that you should take into consideration. First and foremost, you should consider the type of photography you intend to do with your camera as well as the quantity of photography you will do.
If you intend to use your camera primarily for low-light or nighttime photography, a more powerful flash may be necessary. On the other hand, if you plan to take more casual snapshots during the day or indoors in well-lit conditions, a less powerful model is enough. Here we share some more tips on how to choose the right Nikon flash and what things to keep in mind to avoid mistakes.
Size and weight
As you may know, size and weight are also significant factors. Larger flashes offer brighter illumination. However, they may add bulk to your camera bag. It is highly recommended to look for hot shoe flashes or LED ring lights that will attach directly to the hot shoe mount of your Nikon Z5. This will maximize performance while keeping things lightweight.
A Nikon or other camera will take some time to capture a shot after you use a flash. Depending on what kind of action you will be shooting, the Speedlight recycling speed is one of the most important things you need to know. This will help you figure out how long it takes to prepare for the next photograph.
Some models feature manual flashing capabilities, while others have TTL functionality. TTL is basically an automated system. Both TTL and manual flashing have their advantages. This camera mode is the most suitable option for you if you are using artificial light or need more control over your image.
On the other hand, if you want to take a series of photos quickly and don’t have time to change your settings manually, then TTL is a suitable option for you. For instance, it is ideal for people who want to take photos at an event or in sports.
Wireless remote control.
Most modern flash units come with wireless connectivity built right into the unit. As a result, you can now use them off-camera without an adapter. This means that you can easily manipulate the lighting conditions for your photographs by removing the flash from the camera and positioning it at the desired angle. Additionally, you can connect it to a third light source.
How do I use the flash on my Nikon Z5?
It is easy and fun to take high-quality pictures with your Nikon Z5, especially if you know how to use the flash feature to its full advantage. We will give you a short guide to ensure you get the perfect shot every time. Let’s see.
- First, see the instructions that come with your flash unit to get a basic familiarity with how to mount the flash unit on the Nikon Z5 camera shoe. Then connect the flash unit to your camera’s accessory shoe.
- After successfully connecting the camera, turn on the camera and flash the unit. Once it has been turned on, it will start charging automatically.
- As soon as the flash has been fully charged, you will see that the Flash-Ready icon appears in the shooting display. Next, choose Flash Control Mode and Flash Mode.
- Make sure that the shutter speed and aperture are adjusted to your preference.
- Finally, take pictures.
Does the Nikon Z5 have a flash?
It is important to note that the Z5 does not come with an integrated flash. There is a traditional Nikon hot shoe at the top, which is also compatible with the most recent CLS (i-TTL) Speedlights.
Does flash make photos sharper?
There is much debate about whether flash adds sharpness to photos and whether it is worth using in certain situations. It is true that the sharpness can also vary depending on the type of camera and the selected setting. However, some tips and guidelines can help indicate the amount of sharpness that can be added to a photo.
When using a flash with advanced technology cameras, your images will often be sharper than when you use natural light alone. This is because the flash produces more illumination than natural light.
Why are my photos blurry when I use flash?
Insufficient or lack of natural light can cause blurry images when using a flash. This is one of the most common causes. Before switching on your flash, ensure sufficient lighting in your environment so that this does not happen.
How do I take better pictures with a flash?
If you want to achieve better lighting, you need to bounce the camera’s flash off another surface. You can do this by firing the flash on a neutral-colored wall or ceiling or by using a reflective card.
Additionally, it is important to think about the angle from which the light will be hitting your subject; direct light will result in harsh shadows, whereas indirect light will result in a softer appearance.
There is no doubt that the Nikon Z5 is a top-of-the-line camera for beginners and professionals alike. With the right flash, you will be able to take stunning images in a variety of lighting conditions using this camera. In this comprehensive guide, we highlight the most reliable, budget-friendly, and small flash for Nikon Z5. We hope you find the right option for your needs.
If you still would like our opinion about which one is the most suitable option for you considering everything, then we recommend the Nikon SB-5000 AF Speedlight. Despite its high price, it has the ability to deliver quality results, and it is the best flash for Nikon Z5. This flash also has an impressive battery life, making it an ideal choice for extended photo shoots.
Hey guys! You can call me Terry E. Collin.
I spend most of my leisure time on Top Brand Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic, Camera, Camcorder And, Lens
Let’s share some of them one by one in this blog For FilmingLab Audience